IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Victor Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:25:00 -0500
>  What I am speaking up about is the choice to tout gender
>as "the issue" and a CS degree as the only representation that women are involved in the IT industry.

We all value the presence of women in IT.    As a society, it is in our
best interests to enable everyone to rise to the peak of their
abilities.   In our times, persons without relevant degrees get
positions in IT.   But what about when it comes to career growth?  If
there are two equally qualified candidates for a position, the one with
both the background education and experience will be chosen over  the
one with just experience.  We need more of the chosen ones to be women
and minorities.