IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:44:07 -0500
On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Mike Kenny wrote:
> in the meeting today the three people in the room came down in favor of
> three different Network Operating Systems. They are:
>                   Novell Small Business Suite Version 5.1
>                   Red Hat Linux
>                   Microsoft Small Business Server 2000

Yup, I'm biased... but I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to run a server
based on M$'s software, except for home users with little concern for
standards... blah blah blah.
CE uses Novell quite a bit, but *I* can't comment much on it.
We (the Digital Media Development Lab) currently have about 4 servers
running RedHat... nuf said. We have an NT server, but all it's really
being used for it authentication and managing the lab... which a linux box
will eventually do.

Since you guys already have Novell history it might be prudent to stick
with what you know, unless you have someone eager to learn linux, which
would be a rewarding endeavor.

Chris
 |                  WWRD - What Would Rob Do?                   |
 |    Chris Moran         a.a.#707        [log in to unmask]    |
 |DMDL Computer Lab Coordinator   Webmaster/Multimedia Developer|
 |UVM Distance Learning Network   802.656.0358     Lafayette 407|