IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:37:39 -0500
Somebody said:

>We are in the process of evaluating ISPs in hopes of setting up a
>mutually beneficial arrangement with one - or more- ISPs'.

>In the meantime we will post any current ISP information on the
>http://cit.uvm.edu/isp page.

According to this ISP page,

        "Together Networks is a preferred provider of Internet Services for
        UVM affliates (sic), providing enhanced access to University
Resources."

Is this an appropriate juncture to question whether the value added
by "enhanced access to University Resources" is worth the effort?

As I understand it, there are three compelling reasons to obtain
internet service from a preferred provider:

        o cost
        o support
        o known IP addresses

I submit that cost and support are best addressed by market forces.
There are a lot of competing services out there: just look at the
Yellow Pages of the phone book under "Internet"

        - GlobalNet
        - Green Mountain Access (my "preferred provider")
        - Bell Atlantic/Verizon
        - Sovernet
        - Gisco
        - I-100
        - Adelphia

to name a few. There are also multiple access methods offered by
each: old fashioned dial-up 56K; DSL, ADSL, Cable, ISDN, satellite.

In this crowded and volatile market, a "preferred provider" might be
more of a disservice.

As far as "known IP addresses" goes, I think we now have better ways
to control access to UVM resources than IP address detection:
specifically, using ZOO user names and passwords, as demonstrated
here:

        http://www.uvm.edu/~mga/dce/foo.html

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77  http://weasel.uvm.edu/      |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-656-0872  vv                             |