IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Ernest Buford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:17:07 -0500
Geoff wonders if his list management chores are a shared experience.
Here's one perspective....

I have only recently begun to take advantage of some of these
lists.  It's nice to finally be "in the loop" on downtimes, ISP
issues and other technical "events" that impact our work.  I still
get the feeling I may be missing out on announcements posted on
other mysteriously-named lists out there that I ought to be on.

Consolidation of IT-related announcements on a single list seems like
a good idea to me.  I also support non-conflicting names that suggest
what the list is about.  ADVOCATS?  I'm not sure what that name has to
do with the subject of this list.

As for technical talk, I enjoy much of it, learn from some of
it, and I delete it if I'm not in the mood.  I don't see occasional
techno-speak as a big problem on a low-traffic list.

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Geoffrey Duke wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Andrew Hendrickson wrote:
>
> > As chair of the yet to be formed, much anticipated, when the heck is
> > Andrew going to get it going, IT Communications Committee, what I'd
> > like to see is Advocats used as the central IT announcement and yes,
> > discussion, list.  The culture should be "if it wasn't announced on
> > Advocats, then it doesn't exist".
>
> That sounds fine. Most of the lists I subscribe to are low or zero volume,
> but establishing a convention, culture, or whatever that advocats is the
> place to post and read would be a good thing.
>
> I would even suggest renaming advocats to [log in to unmask] The
> reason is that there is a group of Admissions student counselors who are
> called advocats, and who have the Zoo account [log in to unmask]
> Advocats doesn't really even hint at the content of the list.
>
> I'd also suggest a CIT policy that Zoo accounts and listserve names be
> coordinated.
>
> > Sue Mackin's point about the list getting too technical on occasion
> > is accurate. Perhaps Advocats should be moderated, or at least
> > governed by some sort of loosely worded usage policy that would
> > encourage people to off-line such detailed conversations.
>
> What is "too technical?"
>
> If people want to know what's going on, an announcement list should fit
> the bill. If a particular topic is especially interesting, read the
> archive or join the discussion.
>
> This isn't a hill I want to die on. I just thought it might make sense to
> clean-up, clear-out, and consolidate.
>
> --Geoff

Ernest W. Buford
School of Natural Resources