IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:47:28 -0500
First on the Xwin for MAC... has anyone tried VNC on the MAC. I've never
tried it, not having regular use of a MAC, but I use it to connect to a
Mandrake Linux system and It perfoms nicely. And it's free. "Zoo" would
jsut need vncserver installed and users would just need to run a script in
their directories to set up the x environment. I believe users could
install it themselves or themselves, but why bother?
Anyway... it's a beta for the MAC, but well, it's an option. (yes, I know
Harley asked about it and he works in my lab... but it only dawned on me
this morning...)

on another note and previous conversation:
I just thought to throw another option into the fray... even though I
think it's too late. I don't like ftp voyager or explorer. Not at all.
They just seem counter intuitive. I never complained because I could find
other options myself to fit my needs.
One such proggie I found is called BestFTP Explorer 2000
(http://www.kis21.com/~hdlim/)
I have to say it's among the BEST shareware I've ever used. Supports
online editing of text based documents, ftp-ftp, ftp-local as well as a
host of other things.

The reason I bring this up now is that, well, FTP Voyager has been a pain
in the but over here (DMDL) not installing or maintaining its install
correctly, which wouldn't be a big deal if we actually liked it and found
it worth the trouble... so I'm looking at putting BestFTP on the lab
machines. I asked about multi-license costs... it would cost about $200
for the lab, of about 15 machines... BUT, for a Educational site license
it is only $500.
Fod for thought. I'm not in a rush right now... but the next version will
see a price increase, but registered users get a free upgrade, I
believe... so there's just some food for thought.

Chris
 |                  WWRD - What Would Rob Do?                   |
 |    Chris Moran         a.a.#707        [log in to unmask]    |
 |DMDL Computer Lab Coordinator   Webmaster/Multimedia Developer|
 |UVM Distance Learning Network   802.656.0358     Lafayette 407|