IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Lynne Meeks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:45:42 -0500
Many of you have been experiencing difficulties with the
Earthlink/TogetherNet transition and are wondering if the University is
considering other recommended ISP arrangements. This posting is to update
everyone on the status of both topics.

1. Other ISP recommendations.

We are currently in the middle of a 'Request For Information' review
process for working out arrangements with one or more ISPs.  A group
including CIT staff as well as representatives from other areas on campus
began reviewing remote access options last fall. This process was initiated
increased availability of high speed access. We hope to have the formal RFP
process completed and new agreement(s) in place by May.

We are working with both traditional dial-up ISPs as well as providers of
high-speed internet access such as  Adelphia and Verizon during this review
process.  The goal is to have an agreement (or agreements) which would
include favorable pricing for UVM affiliates, optimized remote access to
UVM resources, as well as meeting  defined criteria for network
performance,  customer service, and support.

2. Earthlink issues:

The mainstays of our agreement with TogetherNet- special pricing, special
IP addresses and a direct connection to UVM's network-  will be in place
through the end of May.

UVM affiliate accounts are now being billed at the standard rate of $19.95
per month. HOWEVER, you should be receiving a $5 credit each month through
the end of May.  In addition,  if you have not been paying with a credit
card, you may have received a Past Due notice from Earthlink.  It appears
that Earthlink has missed a billing cycle during the transition, and
accounts were not billed for February. Some folks who have talked to
Earthlink have been told they actually owe $29.90. This would be correct,
as that would be two months at $19.95  less the $5 credit each month
(FEB/MAR)

IP Addressing:
  If you log in to your Earthlink account using the format  userid@uvm you
will be able to access UVM-only resources such as the CIT software download
page. If you log in to your Earthlink account using the
format  [log in to unmask] you will not be able to access UVM-only
resources, but everything else should work.

Technicial Issues:
There have been some off and on problems with the '@uvm'  login format but
those have been resolved as of the beginning of this week.
There have been occasional problems with all [log in to unmask] logins
(specifically last Tuesday, the day of the Big Snow) but these have also
been resolved.
Several people have reported frequent dropped connections while logged in
(using either format). If this is problematic for you, report the problem
to technical support at Earthlink. I'd recommend e-mail
to:  [log in to unmask] Be sure to let them know the phone number you
are dialing in to.

Customer Service & Technical Support Issues:
Wait times to contact both customer service and technical support at
Earthlink are very long at this time.  Earthlink assures me "that the call
centers are aware and are working to improve the issue."