IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Greg MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:42:22 -0500
Thank you, Jess.  You have made the case for CIT  central services with more
eloquence that I could muster.

I would add only the following:

> FYI - we are using other "flavors" of unix as well these days.. Solaris
> and Linux mainly.    We use the best tool for the job.
>
> > - departments invest lots of money in Linux, NT, Novell and their
> >   share of services and applications,
> > - my manager wants something on his table ASAP,
> > - my manager wants something reliable which I will be responsible for,

We also maintain NetWare-based file and print servers, NetWare based lab
management servers, an NT-based communications security server, and NT 4
Terminal server with Citrix MetaFrame services, a Linux "game server" for the
students.  Additionally, we are considering a Windows 2000 Antivirus
management solution, new types of file services, NT-based web-survey tools,
and other cross-platform solutions too numerous to mention.

We use the tool for the job with an eye on security, stability, and
cross-platform authentication, NOT some blind OS-bias.  We may see more
NT/2000 in CIT in the future, we may not.  It all depends on the needs of the
community.

-Greg MacKinnon
Systems Administrator
CIT Client Services