IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chip Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:48:21 -0500
I also had a router that would periodically drop wireless machines back to
an inactive 169 IP (which is the hardware default, right?)

Anyway, Stef, does restarting the router have the same fixing effect as the
re-saving that you've been doing?  It has been explained to me that a router
running encryption is more likely to conk out of supporting the working IPs
now and then, and a low-tech way of avoiding having to restart the thing on
a daily basis is to hook its power cord up to a simple timer (that you can
buy at a hardware store) set up to power off and on the router in the middle
of the night (or whenever you're actually not using the computer).

Cheers,
Chip