IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Steve Feehan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:19:50 -0500
On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 04:01:24PM -0500, Victor Rossi wrote:
> Steve Feehan wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 03:28:50PM -0500, Steve Cavrak wrote:
> >

> >>Once upon a time,  I had some floppies with a shareware program from
> >>MIT that would let me repartition a Windows hard drive so that I
> >>could take an old system and put two partitions on it :
> >>
> >>	1. one for Windows (95 :)
> >>
> >>	2. one for Linux
> >>
> >>Does a program like this  still exist ? If so, then maybe we can
> >>lobby for an Install Fest during Engineering Week !
> >>

> >Yes. The Ubuntu installer will resize NTFS file systems. There is
> >also the Live CD that has a graphical resize utility (gparted).
> >

> Just as an aside - we found that the fips utility that comes with Redhat
> only resizes Fat32 partitions.  Where does one get Ubuntu?

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

I presume that the installer uses parted:

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html

and the linux-ntfs tools:

http://linux-ntfs.org/

I've used the ubuntu installer, the live cd and the individual
utilities and have not (yet) had any data loss. Of these, the
live cd is the easiest but there was one case where it wouldn't
perform the particular action I needed and I had to use parted
and ntfsresize directly.

--
Steve Feehan