IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Hope Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:10:40 -0500
Chris Moran wrote:
> It's basically an overpriced iPod toy (is there any other type?) that is
> much
> better if it can be plugged into more devices so you could say... use a
> laptop
> with the screen down or something like that.

You're probably right about the expense/quality ratio being not quite
where it shold be yet. I found it interesting for another reason,
though. We see lots of tech ideas and experiments. Heck, those MIT guys
were doing wearble computing in the 80s and IBM has hosted a wearable
computing fashion show for umpteen years now. So it's not the idea of
the gadget or even the quality of it--it's the fact that it has come to
market. Sure, lots of things do, and lots of things fail, but it seems
that once that experiment to prototype to marketable item process has
happened, many of those same gadgets end up taking hold in one form or
another. Look at Newtons. They flopped, but they opened the door.

So, I posted it in the spirit of "if this kind of device started showing
up on campus how would we snare it for educational purposes..."

Oh, and Steve, if you buy one can I borrow it?

- Hope