IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:35:37 -0500
Quoting Stefanie Ploof <[log in to unmask]>:
> Harjit and David,
> Thanks to you both for your suggestions!  I forgot to mention that I did
> the firmware upgrade already.  I'll generate new keys, then resetting
> router if that doesn't work, then referring to Linksys if nothing works.
> :)

My wrt54g is about to become a frisbee it angers me so much.
Every few weeks it takes a week off from working correctly then goe
back to normal operation. I've contacted linksys multiple times. I'm
about to call cust serv for an RMA on the damn thing.

Their tech support will tell you any combination of these things:
Power down the dsl modem
Unplug the router
Leave both unplugged until you stop pulling out your hair
Plug dsl back in, then router

They will ask if you have the latest firmware.
(an aside, REMEMBER to save your router settings to a local machine so
when you reset and upgrade the firmware, you should be able to get back
to your normal settings.

Their oem firmware sucks. I got fed up and installed one of the custom
ones, which lets me telnet to it (ssh doesn't seem to work properly)
which is good because with my current problems, sometimes just telling
it to "reboot" will do the job (for a few minutes at least).

I have a v1.1, so I don't know how different it is form the v5,
especially the firmware.
I'm afraid to get this one RMA'd and get the new one that also doesn't
work or doesn't have a decent firmware to upgrade to (especially since
I like to assign my DHCP IPs via the router according to mac address,
like the d-link routers allow out of the box)

Chris

--
Chris [log in to unmask]"no comment"
________a.a.#707________WWRD - What Would Rob Do?______|              ,