IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Andrew Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:09:02 -0500
We're mostly Novell based, but have recently acquired a Windows 2000
server.  My experience thus far, and I've probably got some sort of
problem occuring on the Win 2k box, is that file and print serving on
the Novell box is far faster and more reliable.  Win 2k is much more
demanding hardware-wise for the same bang, at least with our mix of
Netware 3.12 and 4.11.  5.x is probably just as big a resource hog as
win2k.

In general, our Windows 2000 server requires a reboot at least once a
week.  Our Netware boxes will run for 30 days or more with no
problems at all.

I recommend sitting down with Greg MacKinnon of CIT and starting from
the "What do we want to do" point and working from there.  Letting
paranoia regarding Novell's fate decide which NOS to go with would be
a mistake.  Unless you have an overriding reason to change, don't.

             alias: Gregory.MacKinnon
              name: James G MacKinnon
             email: [log in to unmask]
      office_phone: 6-8251
           address: 113J Waterman Bldg
   office_location: Waterman Rathskeller
        department: CIT Client Services
             title: Systems Programmer I
             hours: Generally 8-4:30, but depends on weather and mood.
             other: I know what the title says, but I am a Sys Admin,
not a programmer.
             pager: forgot a long time ago... ask my boss.
               www:  http://www.uvm.edu/~jgm

>Hi --
>
>My name is Mike Kenny. I've been doing the IT work for the Department of
>Medical Biostatistics for several years. I've heard of this group just in
>time time to ask a big question. We are considering buying new servers, and
>in the meeting today the three people in the room came down in favor of
>three different Network Operating Systems. They are:
>                   Novell Small Business Suite Version 5.1
>                   Red Hat Linux
>                   Microsoft Small Business Server 2000
>
>We have been a Novell operation for many years. Our installation of NetWare
>4.11 has given us nearly 4 years of solid service, but several key people
>are concerned that Novell is on the way out, and that Microsoft has the
>stronger set of applications.
>
>My only experience is in Novell 4.11, so I feel unqualified to judge. Any
>advice would be appreciated. Our current servers are used for tape backup,
>file sharing, and tape backup (when the $%*!@ing thing cooperates!) and
>this would of course continue. We are also planning to get into web-based
>data collection, so Web server and development applications are important
>to us, as well as network database software.
>
>Mike
>

>Michael Kenny, Data Analyst
>University of Vermont Biometry Facility
>phone: (802)656-5875 fax: (802) 656-5875
>email: [log in to unmask]

Andrew Hendrickson
Information System Analyst
College of A & S Computing Services