IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:02:57 -0500
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Greg MacKinnon wrote:
> As noted by Mike, VNC has many security holes.  These can be worked
> around, but only with a great deal of client-side configuration.  Good
> and secure thin-client solutions are available in the commercial sector

I read the instructions and I think anyone who actually knows they want
this functionaility migth be interested in trying it out... though I
couldn't comment on the mac end. I know I'd like to X in from home and I
can't use UVM's X-Win32... so VNC is my only option.

> Although I do not deny that there may be better FTP clients available to
> the world, FTP Voyager makes sense from a training perspective.  CIT has
> rotated supported FTP and Telnet clients several times over the past
> five years.  As a result, we have a wildly mixed client software
> environment.  This greatly affects 1) portability of job-skills accross

Don't mistake what I'm asking here. I personally think more and more
people should try to be their own support with simple software, since most
of the help they would need can be found on the software creator's own
website, and settings for our local stuff should be posted in the same
place as the downloads themselves.
I'm stating that at $500 for a site license, it's great alternative choice
(supported or not), since I'm already just as possibly interested in
spending nearly $200 for only 15 licenses.

Chris
 |                  WWRD - What Would Rob Do?                   |
 |    Chris Moran         a.a.#707        [log in to unmask]    |
 |DMDL Computer Lab Coordinator   Webmaster/Multimedia Developer|
 |UVM Distance Learning Network   802.656.0358     Lafayette 407|