IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Kelvin Chu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:16:12 -0500
Hi there;

I've been keeping my head down through the OS debates, but I figured I
be slightly constructive in addressing Mac issues.  The Physics department
is the usual chaotic melange of windows/mac/unices.

For X on my Mac, I've been using the free X client from microimages,
www.microimages.com.  (Caveat downloader: remember to set Stuffit
Expander to do straight text unpacking so the x fonts don't get mangled.)
It's adequate, sort of reminds me of the original days of Linux/BSD before
everyone tried to make the Desktop look like a Windows box.  twm isn't
beautiful but it works - I can do system admin with RH gui tools on my mac
and don't have to wander all over the department.  I suspect that there
will be a bona fide X-client for MacOSX, given the unix base.

For "secure" connections, or at least, connections that are more secure
than just running NCSA Telnet/Better Telnet, take a look at  Niftyssh,
located at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~jonasw/freeware/niftyssh/.  It has
a scp, ssh built in, and works well with Zoo.  And it might even be legal
to use in the US given the public domainification of the RSA public-key
encryption algorithm.

Fetch stinks, but I there are (as far as I have been able to find out) no
graphical-ftp clients that support non cleartext passwords.  I've noticed
that the dartmouth ftp site for  fetch now refers people to the new fetch
software company, Fetch Softworks.  There is a new version (4.something)
that looks just as clunky as 3.0.3.  I end up using scp for file transfer.

Given the complete lack of security found in most departments, and
especially the large gaping holes in IRIX and Solaris, I've been
encouraging faculty to use ssh, and threatening to turn off telnetd to most
of our unix boxes.

My 2 cents. -k

(www.uvm.edu/~kchu/index.html)
                         ^^^^