IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:37:53 -0500
On Jan 4, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Mike Austin wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Chris Moran wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested in knowing how many of the IT staff are using
>> OpenOffice.
>
> I regularly use OpenOffice at work and home.
>
> But I actually use emacs or vi for most of my writing.

I have not installed OpenOffice.

I have MS Office installed on my Mac and PC

I use Word maybe once a month to open some stupid attachment sent to
me that I can't read properly with TextEdit.

I use PowerPoint maybe once a month to debug somebody else's
PowerPoint problems

I use Excel maybe once a month because I'm told that's how my
management wants progress reports filed, and maybe a couple times a
year more to cost compare ski trip package prices or something silly
like that

I used to use Access a lot to manipulate mySQL tables, but now I use
CocoaMySQL

But I actually use BBEdit and MacMail for most of my writing --
probably 90% of all the documents I produce begin as email messages.
jEdit is kinda cool, too, if forced to use Windows. As bad as HTML
can be, I find it to be far more useful than DOC. I'm always puzzled
by the tendency of many to begin every document in Word, regardless
of how it is ultimately distributed and read.

I'm also partial to a utility called FCKedit, which uses javascript
and the DOM to present a Word Toolbar interface for composing HTML
within the context of an HTML form. I've grafted that onto my
WordPress blog. Here's an example:

	http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/fck/_samples/default.html

Ultimately, though, office tools don't inspire me. I find iLife tools
to be more used and more useful than iWork tools.

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77                              |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-656-0872  vv                             |
| aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath      http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/    |