IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Roger Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:54:38 -0500
At 8:44 AM -0500 3/28/01, Ralph Stuart, University of Vermont wrote:
>> * Four classes of network protection
>>    see <http://www.uvm.edu/~ral/security/?Page=firewall.html>
>
>It sounds to me like this document is saying we aren't going to
>telnet from outside uvm.edu any more? Seems rather unlikely...

Actually unencrypted telnet is a significant security exposure.
Security level 4 hosts will be open to telnet. However, among our
goals is to gradually move all level 4 systems to level 3, which will
support encrypted services only. Since many clients don't currently
have encrypted telnet, IMAP, POP, etc. support, that may take some
time.

Roger