IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:51:39 -0500
Quoting David Todd <[log in to unmask]>:
>      Chris,
>    I won't be an apologist for Cisco/Linksys, but I've had a WRT54G
> for several years, since they first came out, and it has been rock
> solid.  Now, I will note, with some annoyance, that I can't really
> tell what the hardware version is (I've assumed it's version1).  But
> it is very clear from their firmware download site that there are
> differences in hardware that are critical (noting the strong
> admonition that certain firmware downloads are only for certain
> hardware versions).

Don't get me wrong. If I was purchasing a new one, I'd like still go
with the linksys. It's been GREAT when it was good at all.

>    It's certainly possible that you've got a faulty device.  Or that
> that particular hardware version was a flawed design.  But you might
> also want to check to see, as best you can from their somewhat flawed
> documentation, that you've matched the firmware version to your
> hardware version.  I'd have thought that getting the wrong firmware
> version would simply have turned the router into a rubble pile, but I
> suppose it's possible that it would cause it to fail in
> unpredictable, random ways.

I've done all the checking. I've had this for 2 years. It still has a
year on its warranty. It only started acting up this past summer.
At times, I would get all my traffic behaving EXCELLANTLY... ssh, bit
torrent, IM... everything BUT web traffic. It makes NO sense to me, but
yes, everything but web traffic would be great and that web traffic
would be like on a 14k modem... AT BEST.

>    And I share your desire to assign IP by MAC address ... one of
> those major shortfalls in the Linksys system, to date, at least.
> Might be reason enough to go to DLink next time.

I put off putting the custom firmware on it. I have the sveasoft
firmware... the "not offical on" because they appearantly have no right
to re-relase the open code and charge people for it... anyway, it has
lots of nice features. If from the RMA they send me a newer hardware
revision, I hope to still be able to put firmware on it that'll allow
this IP assigning feature.

Chris
--
Chris [log in to unmask]"no comment"