IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Hope Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:29:51 -0500
Steve came across this (thanks, Steve):
Peter Morville, "Ambient Findability : How what we find changes who we
are." (O'Reilly, September, 2005)
Part of the Safari Books Online Series :  http://tinyurl.com/c8564

For those of you interested in how the web-world has co-opted the
language of, or implemented the ideas of, taxonomies, ontologies,
metadata, folksonomies, and the semantic web, there is a very accessible
discussion of these in chapter 6: The Sociosemantic Web (esp. 6.2: The
Social Life of Metadata).

I imagine it would be especially interesting to those creating "outward
directed" websites, i.e. sites that are created to attract visitors.

- Hope

P.S. And for those of you who have read your Foucault, considering all
these classification/searching schemes in terms of Borges' "Chinese
Encyclopedia" animals list
(http://www.multicians.org/thvv/borges-animals.html?1) the chapter might
be even more interesting...