IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:03:25 -0500
 From the article:
"Unless you give students points for being there, many of them won't
show up," he said."

While getting points sounds good... going to class is the expectation.
I think taking points away is better. Miss more than x sessions and
lose a letter on your final grade.
It would anger me when I would be in a prof's office for extra help and
see students who can't be bothered to show up asking basic questions
that they would have gotten quite well if they did show up for lecture.
I put in the effort, I felt/feel I was worthy of the time, yet I was
finding I had to wait for the slacker to get helped first.

Of course, providing lectgure notes and even audibles is a good method
for getting th4e information, but much of the course work I have been a
part of required interraction.. being able to ask a question on the
spot when complicated topics come up. That of course doesn't explain
how an online course can be successful covering the same content... but
I've not actually taken a fully online course.

just my thoughts...
Chris
--
Chris [log in to unmask]"no comment"