IT-DISCUSS Archives

January 2006

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Francis Swasey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:09:55 -0500
On 1/5/06 9:59 AM, Chris Moran wrote:
> There's no need to geek it out. I don't like ubuntu, but most say it's
> really
> good. Fedora and Mandrake come out of the box extremely easy for a user
> to pick
> up, and knoppix is still my fave live cd. Pushing "the geek distros" does
> nothing more than proove the "user unfriendliness" of linux/open source.
> We are an EDUCATIONAL institution... why are we so afraid of teaching
> linux?

Having personally made the decision that Fedora is not safe to run on my
home systems, I would point out that if you are going to push Fedora, be
sure to push the next to the latest release -- the one they've stopped
experimenting with and are just providing security fixes for.  That way,
your daily updates are smaller and are not anywhere near as likely to
result in oh... NFS suddenly not working because the SELINUX
configuration got messed up (again)... CUPS suddenly can't read it's
configuration file because the version changed and no one created a
configuration file conversion utility...

I am in the process of converting my home machines (yes, I have a small
data center in my home... Windows/Mac/Linux) to Ubuntu -- but yes, it
doesn't have all the nice GUI features of Fedora so it does take
experience and knowledge to keep it configured, but not as much as some
other debian based distributions I've fought with in the past (yes, way
past -- so my knowledge is likely dated).

Frank