IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Corey Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:34:43 -0500
Since there are going to be several different levels of protection, and
consequently different levels of access to machines as the firewall is
installed, is there going to be any sort of repository kept, possibly with
guides for different operating systesms?

Perhaps something that contains links to general security guides and
mailing lists, and then more OS specific links.  For linux you could have
links to all the distribution mailing lists, and then guides for
hardening.  Things such as

Bastille Linux http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/
Securing and Optimizing Red Hat http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html
Trustix Linux http://www.trustix.net/

But when it comes to IRIX, its just hard to find the resources I need.
Consequently, we have two SGI's that have ~3 user accounts, one or two
ports open, and not much functionality at the moment.

-corey