IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mike Kenny <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:58:48 -0500
Hi --

My name is Mike Kenny. I've been doing the IT work for the Department of
Medical Biostatistics for several years. I've heard of this group just in
time time to ask a big question. We are considering buying new servers, and
in the meeting today the three people in the room came down in favor of
three different Network Operating Systems. They are:
                  Novell Small Business Suite Version 5.1
                  Red Hat Linux
                  Microsoft Small Business Server 2000

We have been a Novell operation for many years. Our installation of NetWare
4.11 has given us nearly 4 years of solid service, but several key people
are concerned that Novell is on the way out, and that Microsoft has the
stronger set of applications.

My only experience is in Novell 4.11, so I feel unqualified to judge. Any
advice would be appreciated. Our current servers are used for tape backup,
file sharing, and tape backup (when the $%*!@ing thing cooperates!) and
this would of course continue. We are also planning to get into web-based
data collection, so Web server and development applications are important
to us, as well as network database software.

Mike

Michael Kenny, Data Analyst
University of Vermont Biometry Facility
phone: (802)656-5875 fax: (802) 656-5875
email: [log in to unmask]