IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Tim Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:46:08 -0500
From Jess:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Alex Scortzaru wrote:
[snip]
> community would like to see CIT change the services it provides, they need
> to be vocal about it.  Next time you start complaining to the person
> sitting next to you about central computing, stop and complain TO central
> computing instead.  How can we improve unless you share your perspective
> with us?  If your needs aren't being met, tell us what your needs are.

OK.

I would like to not provide a machine for domain name service however I would
like to be able to make updates to our records myself so I can make sure it
is done when I need it.  I feel confident that I am capable of upgrading records.
It makes sense to merge our records onto the DNS servers CIT uses.  We could
set up sccs or rcs (I prefer sccs) to maintain locks on files so that two people
aren't editing at once.

I would like to not have to supply a machine for an email server, but I need to
support our usernames and we don't have quotas on our mail files.  It makes sense for
us to use the CIT mail server.  We use elm,pine,eudora,outlook,netscape and mail to read
email.  Some of our users have their own mail servers so we have to support sending
their mail to the proper place.  Our users need to be able to use pop/imap from afar.

Can our needs be met?

Thanks.

--
Tim Raymond                             [log in to unmask]
Director,                               233 Votey