IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mike Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:56:47 -0500
At 10:14 AM 3/28/2001 -0500, Mike Austin wrote:

>Way back in 1996 when we finally turned telnet access to moose.uvm.edu
>off, and "made" people use zoo.uvm.edu, people adapted and things were
>better because of it.  We know that "big change" is tough, but we also
>know that people can adjust when the payback is big enough.

Good example.

People adjust as does water by taking the path of least resistance, whether
its buying a desktop, getting help, getting their hands on software
(old-new-legal-or-otherwise), following-or-not-following standards, setting
and changing-or-not-changing passwords etc.

It's a rather fluid environment so we may be wise to go with it and focus
on offering an appropriate "path(s) of least resistance" coupled with a lot
of communication/education, thereby sheparding folks to a more secure
network environment via their own proclivity.

mike