IT-DISCUSS Archives

March 2001

IT-DISCUSS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:39:34 -0500
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Andrew Hendrickson wrote:

> As chair of the yet to be formed, much anticipated, when the heck is
> Andrew going to get it going, IT Communications Committee, what I'd
> like to see is Advocats used as the central IT announcement and yes,
> discussion, list.  The culture should be "if it wasn't announced on
> Advocats, then it doesn't exist".

That sounds fine. Most of the lists I subscribe to are low or zero volume,
but establishing a convention, culture, or whatever that advocats is the
place to post and read would be a good thing.

I would even suggest renaming advocats to [log in to unmask] The
reason is that there is a group of Admissions student counselors who are
called advocats, and who have the Zoo account [log in to unmask]
Advocats doesn't really even hint at the content of the list.

I'd also suggest a CIT policy that Zoo accounts and listserve names be
coordinated.

> Sue Mackin's point about the list getting too technical on occasion
> is accurate. Perhaps Advocats should be moderated, or at least
> governed by some sort of loosely worded usage policy that would
> encourage people to off-line such detailed conversations.

What is "too technical?"

If people want to know what's going on, an announcement list should fit
the bill. If a particular topic is especially interesting, read the
archive or join the discussion.

This isn't a hill I want to die on. I just thought it might make sense to
clean-up, clear-out, and consolidate.

--Geoff