MEDLIB-L Archives

July 1994, Week 4

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 15:33:59 GMT
For about the last year and a half the New Yorker has been running
some great cartoons pertaining to health care and the health care
debate. The most recent issue I have at home contains two I found
quite delightful: a lion with a thorn in his paw is looking sadly
at a mouse, as the mouse says to him, "I'd like to help you but I
work for a different HMO"; in the second, a tired woman asks a
man, presumably her husband, if he couldn't somehow get one of
those "personalities in a bottle". (It just occurred to me I am
probably misremembering the latter. Don't check to see how wrong
I am, the Freudian implications might devestate me.)

As for permission to reprint for presentations. I would just call
the New Yorker and ask. I've done this myself, not with the New
Yorker but several professional journals, discovering that if I
explain the limited use I intend for any reproduction and the
number of people which will see the presentation, most editors
will give you permission immediately, at no charge.

Jon Cone
Mercy Hospital
Iowa City IA 52245