MEDLIB-L Archives

July 1994, Week 4

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Kathrine MacNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 11:17:10 CDT
Please forgive my forwarding this to the list. Mail to the address in
the header of Janice's message was undeliverable.  KM
Janice, I am a reference librarian at a fairly large veterinary and
medical library.  I was unable to locate "elfamycin" in any of our
veterinary drug sources, nor did I find it in CAB Abstracts between
1987 and May,1994.  When I checked Medline, I found the term in a few
citations, and it was described as a "family" of drugs, some of which
are aurodox, efrotomycin, and phenelfamycin.  Everything described the
drugs as experimental, and being tested as growth-promoting antibiotics
for chickens and pigs.  The company mentioned in authors' addresses was
Merck Labs in New Jersey - one author is R.L.Yeager.  Some work is
being done in France, also.

Hope this helps.

Kathrine MacNeil  kjm5523 at tamvm1.tamu.edu
Medical Sciences Library   Tx A&M University  College Station, Tx. 77843
409-845-7439