MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Loretta Andress <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Loretta Andress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:56:23 -0800
ORIGINAL QUESTION:
We're thinking of offering to health professionals a beeper number
which will give them access to a librarian who can do 24 hr./7-day
clinical emergency database searches.  Has anyone had experience with
this--was it little used?  much abused?  how was it "advertised"?  did
it come to involve emergency ILL's and photocopying? any other
comments...Thanks            Loretta Andress  [log in to unmask]

FINAL COMMENTS:

I did not respond to the original question, and I can see the service of

value 10 years ago.  However, with the proliferation of in-hospital
networks, special off-hour access to the library, and internet
access (PubMed, OVID on the web, etc), I will vote "no".

I am a solo for [my library].  I have offered this service to my
pager for years.  It has not been abused.  About two pages a month.
I mention the 24/7 in my library brochure.

Loretta Andress, Librarian
University of Alaska Anchorage Consortium Library
Health Sciences Information Service
3211 Providence Dr.
Anchorage, AK  99508