MEDLIB-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Theodore Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theodore Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 14:31:22 -0400
Here was my comment back to the site developers:

I found the comparison to librarians to be a bit short-sighted and
definitely "slanted" against an almost perjorative-in-its-shallowness
description of librarianship. You chose to define "competitive intelligence
agent" through a reference to an industry trade group, but simply relied on
a banal dictionary definition for "librarian." I think if you consulted the
Special Libraries Association or the Medical Library Association, you'd
find that librarians in corporate and other specialized settings can be
VERY MUCH expected to be competitive intelligence agents AS WELL AS
carrying out corporate advocacy and pro-active responsibilities beyond the
already critical collection development, management, and retrieval aspects
of "traditional" librarianship.

We welcome a heightened awareness of the important role competitive
intelligence agents play in modern corporate society. We even encourage our
students to look at these roles as logical career paths for their unique
blends of talent, interest, and education, upon completing their library
school education. We certainly don't see an "either-or" choice to be made
between competitive intelligence and librarianship!

Ted Morris
Kent State University

"My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer, but they ought to be!"