MEDLIB-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Leila M. Hover" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:24:41 -0500
On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Michael Rissinger wrote:

> Most of us I suspect endorse the maxim, "The heavier the book, the less the
> use."  In an article in the latest issue of the ANNALS OF IMPROBABLE
> RESEARCH, Erika Love tests our rule and finds reality not quit as we
> suspected.  She discovers the Harrison limit (10 lbs.) and describes how it
> affects use.

This reminded me of when I was still in a hospital setting & had one lib
committee member who would always heft a possible acquisition (which was
generally heavier than his brain, even if the tome was *small*).  I
finally grew so aggravated with this man that I blurted out "Do you judge
the worth of the book by its weight?"  Glad I don't have THAT to contend
with anymore--I have differnet things to contend with that are just as
much a pain!

Lee Hover
Information Developers