MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Sally Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:28:20 -0400
Dear Colleagues:

An odd thing happened this year at the MLA conference.  When I went to
take down the poster I had co-presented, I found it had disappeared.
At first, I assumed my co-presenter had taken it down already.  I soon
ran into him, however, and he assured me this was not the case.  Upon
further investigation, (which included asking the people standing
around waiting to take the tables and boards away, as well as people
at various staffed desks at the conference) I continued to run into
dead ends.

The next day when conference staff were again asked about the poster,
the response was, "You were told that if they weren't down by 2:00
p.m., they would be trashed."  Now, I could live with this, I guess,
except for a couple of things.  First, I arrived to take mine down at
2:30, (yes, I was late, but is there really no accounting for
conference confusion and general busy-ness here?), there were still
several other posters either in the process of being taken down, or
simply still up.  When I asked the people who were waiting to take the
tables away, they claimed no knowledge of my poster.  (And wouldn't
they be the logical people to take it down and "trash" it?)

So, I'm finding this whole experience rather unsettling, and the
response from the conference folks rather unsatisfactory.  My question
to you all is, do you know anything more about this process than I do,
and to whom  could I address a formal complaint?

Thanks!
Sally

Sally Harvey
Information Services Coordinator