MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Martha Pedigo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martha Pedigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:05:27 -0500
I contacted NCME and they do not have plans for a discard list.  They say that
as far as continuing education credits for viewing NCME topics is concerned that
credits are available for 3 years from the date of the program.

Thanks for your responses.  Here is a summary of the eight I received:

Holdings range from 2 to 10 years (Most keep 2-4 years)
Some evaluate titles individually and keep certain topics forever (such as the
Five Minute     Neurologic Examination program)
A couple of libraries have had to drop their subscription and another is looking
for alternatives
One shows them every other Tues at noon while docs eat their lunch
Suggestions for old tapes include reusing, selling (one library sells them for
$1 each-medical     students and interns love them), or giving to third world
country

Martha Pedigo, Librarian
Gateway Medical Center
Clarksville TN  37043