MEDLIB-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Dennis C Ritchey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis C Ritchey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 09:49:46 -0700
This may be old news to many of you, but in the current issue of Medicine on the Net, I found an interesting article about a free translation service.  I know there have been many discussions on this sometime ago, but thought I would pass it on anyway.

http://www.freetranslation.com

The site will translate from English into Spanish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, and Portuguese; and from Spanish, French and German into English.

You select the type of translation using a pull-down menu, and just type or paste the material you want translated into the box.  Alternatively, you can type in the URL of a page that you want entirely translated.

Like all automatic translators, FreeTranslation isn't perfect.  Often, the translation is stilted.  Sometimes it is simply wrong.  But this is a helpful tool to get the gist of a document in a foreign language.

Excuse the duplicate messages some of you may receive, I am sending this to several groups I think this might benefit.

Regards, and I hope to see and meet many of you at MLA, and personally thank you for all the help so many have provided me via this list!

Dennis
Dennis Ritchey
Medical Librarian
Kaiser Permanente
Drug Information Services Library
9521 Dalen Street
Downey, CA  90242-4894
(562) 401-2438 (Voice)
(562) 401-2550 (Fax)

"Kaiser Permanente Librarians help you make informed health care decisions"