MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Beti Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:34:32 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/99 1:24:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Trying to wield a cudgel of being unionized with librarians at other
 sovereign institutions would be much more likely to result in either
 one or both of two things: either being laughed out of the office or
 else handed a pink slip. >>

Bill, I gotta jump in. The union has to be for more than just the library.
How about our University colleagues? Are you members of a union? If so, is it
just for the Library staff, or are you part of a larger group of
professionals?.

I am a proud member, and local Council Leader in the Public Employees
Federation, a union represting professional, scientific and technical workers
in New York State. I can tell you, I would not have remained a state employee
for 16 years without the pay equity study, supported by my union which
brought librarian's salaries in line with other professionals for whom a
master's degree was an entry level requirement. In today's political climate.
we have lost some of our power, but I'd rather have a weak bargaining agent
than none at all. BTW, it is illegal for NYS employees to strike, so that is
not a factor in our power.

Beti Horvath, MLS
Library Services
Mid-Hudson Forensic Psychiatric Center
Box 158 Rt. 17m
New Hampton NY 10958
914 374 3171x3625
Mailto: [log in to unmask] (changing soon, stay tuned)