MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 3

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Blobaum, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blobaum, Paul
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:33:20 -0500
Quite frankly, I am getting tired of all this NLM bashing.  Wake up
folks!!  Before chiming in and masticating on how aweful NLM is... do
your homework.  THe changes that have taken place are mandated by
COngress, and by the year 2000 problem.   The Greater Midwest Region
NNLM library has kept the region well informed on the changes taking
place, how to ask for the changes we want, and why they are taking
place.

Congress has mandated that the NLM serve the public;  many of us medical
librarians act like its a stab in the back.  Well, guess what, Medical
Librarians are not the only tax payers in this country.  Congress and
citizens have a right to have access to the tools to this nation's vast
knowledge base, and find the information they need for themselves.

Now I hope that in additon to complaining to this list, you are writing
and calling your regioonal medical library AND writing directly to NLM
to ask for what you need; and by golly maybe they are already planning
to do it.

I was very impressed with the demonstration of the next generation
PubMed at the MLA NLM booth.

As for wringing your hands over Java script, your computers and browsers
are probably reading these types of web pages anyway and you don't even
know it.

paul

Paul Blobaum, Medical Librarian
Silver Cross Hospital           [log in to unmask]
1200 Maple Road                 http://www.silvercross.org
Joliet, IL  60432