MEDLIB-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jo-Anne Aspri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jo-Anne Aspri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:20:26 -0500
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:01:20 -0500, Jo-Anne Aspri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Medlibbers,
>I thought this would be easy, but the answer is eluding me.
>
>We are looking for a symbol or icon-- internationally/universally
>recognized if there is one, to convey the idea "sign language spoken here".
>Something along the lines of restroom or stop signs, for example. There are
>so many great deaf/sign language or translation service websites, as one
>would expect, but I am coming up empty! Hmm I do not see such a sign on any
>of these websites-can it mean there IS no such thing?! Hard to believe.
>
>TIA,
>Jo-Anne
>
>Jo-Anne M. Aspri, MLS
>Director, Library Services
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>KENT HOSPITAL
>455 Toll Gate Road
>Warwick, RI 02886
>
>V: 401.737.7010 x1309
>F: 401.736.1000
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And it WAS easy! Thank you to Mike, Sandra and Martha...who gave great
suggestions.

1) Use Google images (I forgot about images.) After a few false starts, I
searched for "sign language interpreting symbol" and it got me a GIF that I
think will do. (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&q=sign+language+interpreting+symbol)

2) This sign was confirmed by the following : "if you go to
http://www.dhh12s.com/signage.htm there is a sign there (2
hands giving a sign) which it says is an accepted sign - hope this helps.
(I just happen to today be trying to organise a national meeting about
library services to people with disabilities at which we expect one or two
people to need a sign language interpreter ...)"

Thanks for the customary nearly immediate responses! My requester will be
VERY impressed, as am I.

Thanks to all.
Jo-Anne