MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 3

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:56:55 -0500
Disclaimer - this is not an official NLM or NN/LM statement, this
information is provided FYI only.

that would improve things considerably.  Does anyone know if that is the
eventual plan?"

As was discussed in several venues at MLA and has been announced in several
forums by NLM (read the Technical Bulletin on the web, for example),
virtually all journal citations will be part of an expanded MEDLINE that
will be searchable via PubMed.  Monographic citations will be integrated
into Endeavor/Voyager.  Other citations will be integrated into specialized
databases (like clinical alerts, or meeting abstracts).  NLM is changing
its catalog division to format-based instead of topic-based.  You can see
this already - HealthStar citations are being merged into PubMed MEDLINE as
we write.

For an unofficial graphic diagram of the future of NLM search systems, take
a look at (http://www.nnlm.nlm.nih.gov/gmr/publish/nlmsys.html).

This has been an unofficial FYI from your friendly librarian at the NN/LM GMR.

-----
Chris Shaffer, Technology Coordinator
National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Greater Midwest Region
Library of the Health Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago
[log in to unmask]     http://www.nnlm.nlm.nih.gov/gmr/
312-996-2464 (voice)     312-996-2226 (fax)