MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 3

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Beatrice Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beatrice Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:16:41 -0500
     I know when my browser is reading Java scripts because of the annoying
     error message pop up windows that keep coming up, keep coming up,
     keep coming up, keep coming up, keep coming up, keep coming up, keep
     coming up, keep coming up, keep coming up, well, I guess you get the
     picture.  My 486DX33 is not going to handle a browser upgrade, and
     there is no money for a hardware upgrade.  I can't even get a telnet
     client to work reliably with my cutting edge (ten years ago) operating
     system (Win 3.1).

     As near as I can tell, as of September 30, 1999, the 300 beds and 2500
     staff end users that I support will be cut off from what's free to
     users with current generation hardware.

     I don't consider my angst over being basically put out of business by
     "system improvements" to be NLM bashing.

     These sentiments are mine, not my employers.

     Beatrice F. Nichols
     Health Sciences Librarian
     Maryview Medical Center
     Bon Secours Health System
     3636 High Street
     Portsmouth VA 23707

From: Blobaum, Paul

Quite frankly, I am getting tired of all this NLM bashing.  Wake up
folks!!  Before chiming in and masticating on how aweful NLM is... do
your homework.  THe changes that have taken place are mandated by
COngress, and by the year 2000 problem.   The Greater Midwest Region

As for wringing your hands over Java script, your computers and browsers
are probably reading these types of web pages anyway and you don't even
know it.