MEDLIB-L Archives

April 2020, Week 4

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Annie Schultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Annie Schultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:01:38 -0400
Here’s another older study (1983) that also found benefits to using nylons with masks:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6650392/

Common Materials for Emergency Respiratory Protection: Leakage Tests With a Manikin
D W Cooper et al. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J. 1983 Oct.

Show details
Cite

Abstract

In areas where respirators are not routinely used, emergencies (such as fires) may occur in which protection from airborne particles is necessary. The following readily available materials were tested on a manikin connected to a breathing simulator to determine the fraction of an approximately 2-micron diameter aerosol that would leak around the seal between the materials and the manikin's face: cotton/polyester shirt material, cotton handkerchief material, toweling (a wash cloth), a surgical mask (Johnson & Johnson Co., Model HRI 8137), and a NIOSH-approved disposable face mask (3M Corp., Model #8710). The leakage tests were done to supplement the measurements of penetration through the materials reported previously. Leakage fractions were determined by comparing the penetration of the same aerosol for the materials held to the face versus being fully taped to the face. At a breathing rate of 37 liters per minute, mean leakages for the materials ranged from 0.0 percent to 63 percent, depending on the material. Mean penetrations exclusive of leakage ranged from 0.6 percent to 39 percent. Use of nylon hosiery material ("panty hose") to hold the handkerchief material or the disposable face mask to the face was found to be very effective in preventing leakage. Such a combination could be expected to reduce leakage around the handkerchief to about 10 percent or less in practice, and around the mask to less than one percent, which suggests the adaptation and use of such an approach for industrial hygiene.

Similar articles
Nanoparticle penetration through filter media and leakage through face seal interface of N95 filtering facepiece respirators.
Rengasamy S, et al. Ann Occup Hyg. 2012.PMID: 22294504
Total inward leakage of nanoparticles through filtering facepiece respirators.
Rengasamy S, et al. Ann Occup Hyg. 2011.PMID: 21292731
Manikin-based performance evaluation of N95 filtering-facepiece respirators challenged with nanoparticles.
Balazy A, et al. Ann Occup Hyg. 2006.PMID: 16344291
Performance of dust respirators with facial seal leaks: II. Predictive model.
Hinds WC, et al. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J. 1987.PMID: 3318364 Review.
Respiratory protection against bioaerosols: literature review and research needs.
Rengasamy A, et al. Am J Infect Control. 2004.PMID: 15454893 Free PMC article. Review.
Show more similar articles
See all similar articles
Cited by 3 articles

Development of an advanced respirator fit-test headform.
Bergman MS, et al. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2014.PMID: 24369934 Free PMC article.
Effects of breathing frequency and flow rate on the total inward leakage of an elastomeric half-mask donned on an advanced manikin headform.
He X, et al. Ann Occup Hyg. 2014. PMID: 24106004Free PMC article.
Surgical mask filter and fit performance.
Oberg T, et al. Am J Infect Control. 2008.PMID: 18455048 Free PMC article.
Publication types

Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
MeSH terms

Dust
Emergencies*
Humans
Models, Anatomic
Particle Size
Protective Devices / standards*
Respiratory Protective Devices / standards*
Substances

Dust
LinkOut - more resources

Other Literature Sources
The Lens

Annie

Ann M. Schultz, JD, MLIS
Certified in Information Management
Licensed to Practice Law, State of Michigan (P70355)
Mobile: (810) 858-7867
Email: [log in to unmask]

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure...but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter."

~ Francis Chan ~

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."

 ~ Albert Einstein ~

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

~ Milton Berle ~

Sent from my iPhone 💡