MEDLIB-L Archives

July 1994, Week 4

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Ellen Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 10:33:03 EST
When I began working at this facility about four months ago, I discovered
that multiple copies of several newsletters had been sent out from the
library to staff members.  Since I had just ordered Laura Gasaway's new
book, I highlighted a relevant passage, indicating that this practice was
clearly an infringement of copyright law, and sent it out to recipients
of the copies.  I also attached a memo, offering to set up a routing list
for those interested.  Of course, I have begun to receive complaints- "it's
always been done this way," etc.  What I am unsure of is what individuals
may do in terms of making a copy of the routed original for themselves. and I
have had questions about this.  Also, how much obligation do we have to
be enforcers of what others do- for example, if a department secretary
tells me she plans to make five copies for her department members- I would
like to know others' opinions of how to handle this.  Also, is it
considered an infringement if I make a copy before I route the
original, to keep as a backup in the event the original is lost (it
would be destroyed as soon as the original is returned to the library).
Obviously, it would be easiest if each individual could receive his/her
own subscription- however, I doubt the facility will wish to pay for this!
Please send replies to me individually- I will summarize if there if
interest.  Thanks in advance.

          Ellen Wells
          Eagleville Hospital
          Eagleville, PA