MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
James Shedlock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Shedlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:30:36 -0500
6-8-99

TO:     MEDLIB-L Readers
FROM:   Jim Shedlock, Northwestern University
RE:     Benchmarking

Per Metta's note below, this is being done!  A MLA Benchmarking Task Force
met at MLA'99 and is moving quickly to produce a test instrument.

>Date:         Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:25:11 -0400
>Sender: Medical Libraries Discussion List
>From: Metta Lansdale <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: One more try
>Comments: To: Cheryl Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>This is very basic information that I think MLA should be assisting the
>membership by producing on an annual basis.  Basic data on salaries,
>staff, library size, budget, size collection -- just the basics. We see
>these kinds of pleas onthe listserv all the time.  Before using the
>discussion lists, hospital librarians were on the phone with each other
>constantly, trying to gather basic comparative data for use on the home
>front.  It is not too much to ask and is to be expected of any self
>respecting association.
>

>On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Cheryl Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Just after MLA I sent out a request for some statistical data to use as part
>> of a benchmarking process mandated by our administration.  I was a bit
>> disappointed to only receive 11 responses and am hoping that everyone was
>> just too busy with the post-MLA catch up.  So I'm trying one more time in
>> the hopes of getting a few more replies.
>>

>> I've simplified the questions a bit - removing some that were confusing.
>>

>> 1.      Number of beds?
>>
>> 2.      How many physicians are on your medical staff?
>>
>> 3.      How many FTEs does the hospital have?
>>
>> 4.      What is your library's total operating budget (including salaries) ?
>>
>> 5.      How many FTE's are in the Library?
>>

>> I will put these in an Excel file and share with anyone who responds.  I'm
>> not putting names of hospitals in the file, just using the other data.
>>

>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Cheryl M. Goodwin, MLS
>> Manager, Library Services  *    206/386-6469
>> Swedish Medical Center     *    206/386-3570 (fax)
>> 747 Broadway                   *        [log in to unmask]
>> Seattle, WA 98122
>>

>Metta T. Lansdale, Jr., Director
>Chelsea District Library
>Voice:  (734) 475-0006
>  Fax:  (734) 475-6190
>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>
>Selector for Health Information Resources
>Michigan Electronic Library
>http://mel.lib.mi.us/health/

James Shedlock, AMLS, AHIP
Director, Galter Health Sciences Library
Northwestern University
303 E. Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL  60611

VOICE:  312-503-8133