MEDLIB-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Laurie A. Potter" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:15:09 -0800
Hi Tom,

I happen to be researching this very issue.  Most people in the U.S. have
health insurance as a benefit of working for a large company or institution.
It is a *big* problem for those with pre-existing medical conditions to get
health insurance if they change jobs, lose their job or work for employers
who change insurance policies.  They are denied health insurance! It doesn't
matter how much they are willing to pay in premiums, the companies will not
offer them insurance period.

I found the senate report of "The Health Insurance Reform Act of 1995."  It
is about 50 pages long and outlines all of the issues. It is Senate bill
1028 and is sponsored by Senator Kassebaum from the Committee on Labor and
Human Resources.  The URL is:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdosID=01554235

If the above doesn't work, these are the steps I took:

http://www/gpo.gov

congress of the United States

house, senate and executive reports

"health insurance"

Hope this helps.---Laurie

>The question is this: where does a U.S. citizen turn for health insurance
>in devastating illness when the original coverage has ended?  As I
>understand it from my patron, the situation is that when the original
>coverage ended in a case of long term, devastating illness, continuation
>of coverage by that company was either refused or was too expensive to
>consider, given the liklihood that an extensive period of hospital care
>is needed.
Laurie A. Potter
6710 Chesterfield Lane
Reno, NV 89523-1769