MEDLIB-L Archives

January 2006, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Laura Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:16:12 -0500
Check out my article about medical librarianship at:
http://www.liscareer.com/kane_medlibrarian.htm

Also, here is a snippet from my recent submission to "A Day in the Life," a book being edited by Priscilla Shontz about librarianship:
HOW TO GET A JOB LIKE MINE            Sorry.  My job is not up for grabs.  However, there are many academic medical libraries around the country, and many varied positions within each one.  The opportunities are there; you just need to be armed with the training and preparation required to make you indispensable!  In library school, take any medical librarianship courses available.  Work in a medical library as a graduate assistant.  Do an internship in a health science library.  Volunteer to work in the consumer health department of a public library.  Join the Medical Library Association and one of its regional chapters.  Go online and play around with PubMed, MedlinePlus, and other health websites.  Any of these experiences will place you one step ahead of competing job applicants.  Go for it!  And good luck!

Laura Kane

*************************************
Laura Townsend Kane, MLIS, AHIP
Assistant Director for Information Services
School of Medicine Library
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
803-733-3352 (office)
803-733-1509 (fax)

>>> Jana Liebermann <[log in to unmask]> 01/09/06 10:29 AM >>>

I'd like to see replies to the list on this one!!!

I graduated in 1993, and was advised to take a first job in the field of
Librarianship, and move to health sciences librarianship.  That it was very
difficult to get a first job in a special library, as a rule.  But, my first
job began less than 2 months after I graduated at a Hospital Library.   It
did not require my masters, but they were awfully glad to have me
(especially after I left, and they realized that without an MLS, their
accreditation for the nursing school was not secure).   Since then, I've
been exclusively medical -- hospital --> academic medical --> regional
medical --> and now government medical.

Advice --

Apply even though it asks for experience.   Some jobs may like what they see
in your resume and call you in.

Get good opportunities to interview -- it can only help you get that perfect
job later.

Join MLA and your local Chapter of MLA and start meeting medical
librarians.   Network.   Most jobs are still found through networking

Volunteer in a medical library.  Take on the jobs no one wants to do, like
shelfreading, or shelving.  They'll love you, and give you a good
recommendation!!   Also, you may get to do other things.

Stay positive!   Looking for a job is tough at any age.   Good for you for
asking questions!!