MEDLIB-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Esparza, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Esparza, Julia
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 12:55:01 -0400
May 14, 2001

I am very interested in this post.  I am wondering why we might pay a
service like SerialSolutions to give us a list of journals in html format
from a database aggregator.  This is something the aggregators should be
giving to us for using their services.

When I saw the post I thought that this might be the solution to the
countless hours of reviewing contracts and filling out registration forms
for me.  However, I was disappointed to see that they state in their FAQ:

"Because these subscriptions often vary from library to library, we need to
receive this data directly from the library. If there are changes to this
information, the library must let us know, and we will incorporate it in the
next report that we run for them."

Now tell me what good that does.  As a small special library with a lot of
e-journals directly, we see no reason to pay twice for the information that
comes with our print subscription by buying from an aggregator.

Also, as I said before.  The aggregators should be supplying this
information.  It is sad to see that we can't demand it.

**My opinion are my own and in no way reflect ECRI policy.**

Julie Esparza
ECRI - a non profit health services research institute
Library
5200 Butler Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462-1298
610.825.6000 Ext. 5184 Voice