MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Debra Rand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debra Rand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:17:07 -0400
to help hospital libraries with benchmarking" I submit the following
brief notes.

The MLA Benchmarking Taskforce has developed a plan for a large scale web
based benchmark database for hospital libraries. A beta test is planned
for the fall.  The task force has spent a great deal of time reviewing the
experiences of other benchmarking efforts in order to improve the process.
Some of the issues to be dealt with include:  standard data definitions,
access mechanisms, training or mentoring, and evaluation.

There will be an article in the next  issue of National Network (the HLS
newsletter) about the task force activities and plan of action.  Expect to
see a lot of information about this in late summer and fall.   As a member
of the Task Force and Past Chair of HLS I can say that MLA (both the Board
and HQ) have put a great deal of time and resources behind this project.
Building a database that can hopefully be used nationally by various size
and types of hospital libraries is a major effort.

There will be many opportunties for MLA members to get involved in the
project.  We hope that as many hospital libraries as possible
will contribute their data.

Debbie Rand

Debra Rand
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
Health Sciences Library
270-05 76th Ave.
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]   fax:  718-470-6150   voice:  718-470-7070