MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Metta Lansdale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Metta Lansdale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:32:58 -0400
This is a great, no, fabulous project and a long time coming.  My very
best to all of you who are investing your time and effort in this most
worthy cause.

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Debra Rand wrote:

> to help hospital libraries with benchmarking" I submit the following
> brief notes.
>
> The MLA Benchmarking Taskforce has developed a plan for a large scale web
> based benchmark database for hospital libraries. A beta test is planned
> for the fall.  The task force has spent a great deal of time reviewing the
> experiences of other benchmarking efforts in order to improve the process.
> Some of the issues to be dealt with include:  standard data definitions,
> access mechanisms, training or mentoring, and evaluation.
>
> There will be an article in the next  issue of National Network (the HLS
> newsletter) about the task force activities and plan of action.  Expect to
> see a lot of information about this in late summer and fall.   As a member
> of the Task Force and Past Chair of HLS I can say that MLA (both the Board
> and HQ) have put a great deal of time and resources behind this project.
> Building a database that can hopefully be used nationally by various size
> and types of hospital libraries is a major effort.
>
> There will be many opportunties for MLA members to get involved in the
> project.  We hope that as many hospital libraries as possible
> will contribute their data.
>
> Debbie Rand
>
> Debra Rand
> Long Island Jewish Medical Center
> Health Sciences Library
> 270-05 76th Ave.
> New Hyde Park, NY 11040
> e-mail:  [log in to unmask]   fax:  718-470-6150   voice:  718-470-7070

Metta T. Lansdale, Jr., Director
Chelsea District Library
Voice:  (734) 475-0006
  Fax:  (734) 475-6190
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Selector for Health Information Resources
Michigan Electronic Library
http://mel.lib.mi.us/health/