MEDLIB-L Archives

April 2018, Week 3

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Heidi Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heidi Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 19:34:45 +0000
Once in a while, we all as awesome information professionals will discover technology quirks affecting our information services.
Here's a good one which impacts multiple industries....and is apparently a new discovery.

As we know, in our workflow, there are times where it necessitates highlighting of an article to bring the requestor's attention to their answer within the article.  Most pdf programs come with a highlighter feature, which saves the highlighting markup as the final pdf.

We recently encountered a situation where the highlighting was being "wonky" in that it would not highlight just one selected sentence.  When selecting one sentence, it was also randomly highlighting words above and below the desired sentence.

After amazing perseverance and numerous head-scratching moments by members of our library staff, our photocopier company's IT person, and our software company's IT personnel, it was finally determined (and duplicated within the affected program) that this particular type of wonkiness is limited to the meta data programming for Adobe Distiller.

I confess, I never gave much thought about the many different types of pdf which comes through to us via interlibrary loans.  If your library uses or receives pdfs created with Adobe Distiller, note this as a heads up.  I believe Adobe is now aware of their Distiller program's highlighting incapability within themselves as well as other pdf programs, and I presume will fix this in a future release.  If you're considering purchase of Adobe Distiller, may want to be cognizant of this current situation.

Have a Great Day!

Heidi Sue

Heidi Sue Adams, MS, AHIP(D) | Lead Medical Librarian | (406) 752-1739 | DOCLINE: MTUKRH |
Kalispell Regional Medical Center | Medical Library | 310 Sunnyview Lane | Kalispell MT 59901 |
Assisting you with providing excellent patient care using evidence in the medical literature |
Stefanie & Heidi Sue @ KRMC Medical Library  |  [log in to unmask]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication is considered confidential, as it may contain privileged or confidential information that is protected by federal or state law. Any unauthorized direct or indirect disclosure, use, printing, alteration or copying of this communication is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and also notify our Compliance Office by calling 877-752-1742 and delete this communication and any attachments. Any opinions, views, advice or other statements contained in this communication are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily represent those of Kalispell Regional Healthcare. Kalispell Regional Healthcare and its affiliates claim all applicable privileges related to the information contained in or transmitted with this communication. KRHPA616