MEDLIB-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Donna Beales <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Beales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 10:05:33 -0400
The hospital I work for ceased binding our journals years ago, and I
don't anticipate that we'll begin again any time soon due to cost
issues.

Our problem is that the unbound volumes flop around and fall off the
shelves.  We looked into buying see-through plastic holders, and the
cost would be in excess of $2,000 - $4,000, which is not affordable
for us at this time.

Recently we purchased large elastics, and this solved the problem for
several months, but the elastics deteriorate more quickly than I
thought, needing constant replacement.

There must be something out there 'like' elastics to hold a dozen or
so issues together, that would be affordable for a small library like
us...  Does anyone know if there is such a thing?  I was thinking of
really long zip ties, but have no idea where I might buy some.  Maybe
Medlibbers have better ideas?

I am not concerned with long-term archival issues-our journals are
kept 15 years, and then tossed.

Thanks!

Donna Beales
Lowell General Hospital