MEDLIB-L Archives

June 1999, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Cindy Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cindy Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:25:50 -0700
I have a staff person who is looking for recommendations on prevention of
surgery on the wrong limb (or other site) by marking the patient's
correct body part (i.e., putting an "x" on the affected/injured limb or
"NO" on the unaffected limb), using permanent marker or whatever.
Recommendations may include WHO is to mark the patient, WHEN is this to
be done, what if the patient is a minor?, etc.

I've found recommendations issued by the American Academy of Orthopaedic
Surgeons and a very few articles on Medline.

If any of you are aware that your institution has a written policy on
this and would be willing/able to share it, I would really appreciate
it.  Please respond to the personal email address below.  Thank you!!

Cindy Muller
Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center
Portland, OR