MEDLIB-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Donna Beales <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Beales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 11:10:51 -0400
Thank you to all respondents.  See below for original posting.

Many people recommended Princeton Files. We could not afford steel or
plastic Princetons, and we felt cardboard was too likely to fall apart
considering the total investment.

Others recommended the cardboard journal holders.  The problem is that
we have some-they obscure the journal spine info, and in practice are
a pain in the neck.  They also don't last...

One person is putting journals on their sides.  Since we're constantly
using ours, that would be nightmarish, and for me painful!  I'm
recuperating a hand injury.

This is what we found that is a little off the beaten track (Yankee
ingenuity?):

There is something called a Ball Bungee, that looks like a larger
version of a ponytail holder.  They're normally used to hold down
tents and tarps, but they'd hold journals in bundles. They were
relatively inexpensive, $25 for 100 at 9".  We decided not to go with
these because we want whatever we buy to last several years, and
figure the average lifespan of a ponytail holder is only a couple...
 Still, they were very intriguing.  Since some of you may be
interested, the  company is Canopy Masters, tel. 1-877-722-6679.

We found a product called Velcro One-Wrap we plan to go with.  It's
double-sided velcro sold by the yard, 1" width.  We plan to cut it
into 24" lengths for bundling, and use heavy-duty bookends for
support.  We called Velco USA Inc. for the local distributors in our
area.  Velco USA Inc.--  1-603-669-4880.

Total project cost for us around $600, including bookends.  Hope this
helps others.

Donna Beales
Lowell General Hospital
Health Science Library